Friday, November 15, 2013

A Webinar and After Thoughts


Attended a webinar on "The Elements of Performance Modeling" by Neil J Gunther from PerfDynamics. It had been a very long time since I had a very good technical session. 

This is not the first time that I attend on capacity planning and performance modeling seminar or webinar. However, the best I liked about this session was Neil's approach to provide a practical and a simplistic view of performance modeling without ridiculing any of the complexities involved.

From a learning perspective, there are 2 dimensions of understanding: BASIC and APPLIED. Understanding the basics is very important. It is equally important to understand the application of that understanding. When i write this blog, I don't have to understand the underlying technnology of Web 2.0 or networks or data storage involved in publishing this blog. However, I should be aware of effectively utilizing them for my purpose. I have made / will make the mistakes - multiple times in the past, present and future - not to understand the need for depth VS breadth and not to realize the time to call it quits. It is a learning experience, after all. 

Of course, end of the 1:15 hour session, i felt mentally tired because it had been very long since my brain was active for such a long duration. I could not recollect how I was sitting inside a class room for a whole day, without any alternate option, for 4 years.

Happy Computing!
bright

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home