Saturday, November 10, 2018

My Experiment With Apple AirPods

I am a strong fan of Apple philosophy - “Simplicity is the highest level of sophistication”. The AirPods are simple to interface with iPhone and that is it. To me, it did not meet the core principle of Apple products - Intuition over Intelligence. Lack of intuition or intelligence, either way, the interface is too bad for me.


Use Case
Attending a phone call
Expectation
When you get a call, you plug-in the airpod to your ear, the call is automatically answered
Reality
You have to double tap the airpod to answer the call. At present, my success rate of double tap is less than 5% (that is 1 success for every 20 attempts).
Experience
Bad

Use Case
Listening to music
Expectation
The volume can be adjusted without reaching the phone
Reality
This is the most complicated task.
  1. Double tap the airpod to activate Siri
  2. With a 5% success rate, when Siri is active, use a command to adjust the volume. The success rate for Siri to understand this command is less than 5%.
This leaves absolutely no chance of making the necessary adjustment, but look like a weirdo making some lousy taps and talking to myself
Experience
Bad

Use Case
Fitting in my ear
Expectation
The airpod will have a secure option to keep it on the ears all the time
Reality
My ears are not “designed” to fit airpods. Everytime I tap on one ear, the airpod on the other ear gets loose and become a risk of losing. It becomes an comical act while traveling in a public transport
Experience
Bad

After 3 days of use, I wonder if this is a product designed by the same Apple designer team - what a disappointment!

I love to hate this and don’t hate to love this new electronic addition.

Update 1: I tried to adopt the limitation and make the best use of this airpod. I am not a big fan of returning a purchased merchandise, even if the wholesale retailer provisions that option

Update 2: After 1 week, it is not working out. I am losing the airpod even while climbing the stairs. I am forced to return this. I will stick to the wired, over the ear, headphones, for now.

This is a very short love story. The wait and the anticipation to own this pair of airpods was much longer and sweeter than actually owning it. Goodbye, AirPods!

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 05, 2019, Blogger cnu said...

Nice Review Bright .. ! How about the sound quality ? It has best reviews out there compared to the Competition?! Price is quite compelling, when you compare with the Bose/Sony (Both need s charging every hour, horrible battery retention).

With Dr.Beats and apple merger, apple should be improving in the next versions ! Wearable tech is going to be future for Apple !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home